It’s May and strawberry season is beginning! I’m looking forward to making enough jam to fill my freezer and eating fresh berries as often as I can. And making these Strawberry Oatmeal Bars a few times, as well. These are a nice treat for breakfast (oatmeal and fruit!) or as a light dessert. They are just as delicious without the glaze, if you prefer less sugar. If storing in the refrigerator, the bars will soften quite a bit. Let’s hope the weather cooperates and it’s a good year for strawberries.
- 2 cups small-diced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Optional glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon milk (plus more, if needed)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease and 8×8-inch baking pan.
- In medium bowl, toss together strawberries, cornstarch, lemon juice, and sugar and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt. Pour in the melted butter and stir until dry ingredients are moistened and crumbs begin to form. Set aside ½ cup of crumb mixture and press remaining crumbs into an even layer on the bottom of prepared pan.
- Scatter the strawberries evenly over the crust. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over the berries.
- Bake the bars for 35-40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is lightly brown. Cool completely on wire rack.
- While the bars cool, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk to make a thin glaze. Drizzle over bars and slice.
Store any leftover bars in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Makes 16 bars.