Valentine’s Day is almost upon us so I thought I’d make something heart-shaped and turned to my trusted Taste of Home Ultimate Cookie Collection book. I have these marked in my book and had written “Good” next to the title. Writing in a book just makes me shudder because as a young child in school, I’m sure it was drilled into us not to write in our books and don’t dog-ear the pages. However, I use pencil, not pen, and I mark if the recipe is worth trying again. This one is very good with just a hint of almond flavoring. As you can see, I went with red and white instead of the dark chocolate. Hope you enjoy yours and Happy Valentine’s Day!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ lb. dark chocolate candy coating, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water and extract until mixture forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to ¼-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2 ½-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Cover and refrigerate for 30 min.
- Bake for 13-16 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Dip one side of cookies in candy coating; place on waxed paper until set.
Yield: about 2 dozen