It’s summer! A perfect time for my son’s recipe for simple Baked Beans. This is my go-to recipe for barbecues and potlucks, and it’s always a hit. It’s very flexible, so feel free to make it your own. Adjust the level of spiciness to your taste. Use the beans your family will eat. It makes a small batch which is great for a dinner at home, but can easily be doubled or tripled for a larger group. I hope you enjoy it.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¾ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons molasses
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce (your favorite)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cans (16 oz each) different beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oven to 300F.
- In large oven-proof skillet or Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and set aside. Leave grease in pan.
- Add the onion to the bacon grease and cook until edges begin to brown. Stir in jalapeno and garlic; cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and the cooked bacon. Bring to a simmer and stir in the beans.
- Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and cook, uncovered, until the sauce thickens, about