This week’s recipe is from “Taste of Home Half Homemade.” If you are familiar with Taste of Home recipes you know that they are easy to make with simple ingredients. They aren’t fussy and over the top pretentious with ingredients that you have never heard of. And, I have to say that there haven’t been many that I’ve tried that I didn’t enjoy or say “that’s a keeper.” Tasteofhome.com is a wonderful source for more of their delicious recipes, but be careful – it can send you down a rabbit hole that you may never come out of! Next week, Cindy (one of our circulation desk staff) will be giving you a recipe for Pulled Pork that I think this recipe will compliment very well.
After making this I realized my salad was lacking color. Try to find a coleslaw mix that maybe has some red cabbage in it and substitute a red pepper for the green one. I also added some extra carrot even though it was in the mix.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling YIELD: 16 servings.
- 1 package (7 ounces) ring macaroni or ditalini
- 1 package (14 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) whole water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups Miracle Whip Light
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. Transfer to a large bowl; add the coleslaw mix, onions, celery, cucumber, green pepper and water chestnuts.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.