Download books for your eBook reader with your library card!
(these instructions apply to the Nook, Sony Reader and other readers that use the EPUB format. Kindle users, ask for the Kindle instruction sheet).
In order to access the eBooks available from the library, you must first install & activate/authorize Adobe Digital Editions on your computer. It is a one-time, free, fast and easy download available on the DigitalLibraryNJ.com web site. Instructions for activating are below.
How to borrow eBooks from DigitalLibraryNJ.com
Step 1: Go to the Phillipsburg Library web site: www.pburglib.org
Step 2: Click the image or text for DigitalLibraryNJ, on the right side of the library page.
Step 3: On DigitalLibraryNJ, click Login, select Phillipsburg Library from the drop-down menu, and enter your library card number (no spaces) and pin/password.
Step 4: Go to Lending Periods, and select your eBook check out time (your choices are 10, 14 or 21 days). You can check out a maximum of 5 titles at a time (this includes downloadable audiobooks).
Step 5: Go to Home. On right menu, click View all eBooks to browse full collection. You can also search for a particular book using author, title, or keyword. If desired title is checked out, click Place a Hold to be added to waiting list. Enter your email address and you will receive an email notice when the book is available.
Step 6: To view only titles that are currently available for checkout, click Advanced Search, select EPUB format, check box “Only show copies with titles available”, and Search.
Step 7: Select a title to borrow, and click Add to Cart. Then select Proceed to checkout and confirm checkout.
Step 8: If this is your first time downloading an eBook, you will need to download & install Adobe Digital Editions free software, and then follow the steps below to activate it (this only has to be done once)
After downloading the Adobe software, click on Library – Authorize Computer.
Authorizing your computer allows you to read DRM-protected Adobe eBooks (that means they can be borrowed and returned). The first time you open Adobe Digital Editions, you must activate the program. It can be activated anonymously, or by using an Adobe ID. Note that if you activate Adobe Digital Editions anonymously, you will only be able to view eBooks on your computer; and won’t be able to download eBooks to your eBook reader.
To activate Adobe Digital Editions using an Adobe ID that you create (free of charge):
a. Open Adobe Digital Editions, and the ‘Setup Assistant’ dialog box is displayed.
b. Click ‘Continue’ and the ‘Authorize Computer’ screen is displayed.
c. In the appropriate fields, enter the email address and password for your Adobe ID. If you do not already have an Adobe ID, click ‘get an Adobe ID online’ and follow the instructions to sign up for an Adobe ID.
d. Click ‘Activate’. Your computer is now activated to your Adobe ID.
e. Click ‘Finish’ to close the ‘Setup Assistant’ dialog box.
After you authorize your computer, you must also activate your supported eBook reader:
a. Connect the eBook reader to your computer and open Adobe Digital Editions. Adobe Digital Editions launches and detects the eBook device.
b. The ‘Device Setup Assistant’ dialog box is now displayed.
c. Click ‘Authorize Device,’ and Adobe Digital Editions activates the eBook device. You can now transfer DRM-protected Adobe eBooks to the device.
Note that both Adobe Digital Editions on your computer, and the eBook reader, must be activated with the same Adobe ID to transfer DRM-protected Adobe eBooks to the device.
Step 9: Return to Overdrive and download eBook (Open file)
Step 10: Transfer eBook to a supported portable eBook reader
a. After the eBook has been downloaded to your computer, open Adobe Digital Editions.
b. Click on the jacket cover of the Adobe eBook you want to transfer.
c. Drag the Adobe eBook to the eBook device icon in the left pane of Adobe Digital Editions. The ‘Copy Documents’ dialog box is displayed and the title is transferred. When transfer is complete the ‘Copy Documents’ dialog box closes. You can now disconnect the eBook device and enjoy the eBook on-the-go.
Note that to transfer Adobe eBooks to a supported eBook device, Adobe Digital Editions and the eBook device must be activated using the same Adobe ID. Display of Adobe eBooks on eBook devices may vary, depending on the nature of the content.
How can I return Adobe eBooks early?
1. Open Adobe Digital Editions.
2. Select the ‘Library View’ icon (in the upper left corner)
3. The Adobe Digital Editions library is displayed. Under the ‘Bookshelves’ heading, select ‘Borrowed’.
4. Click the eBook you want to return and click the ‘Item Options’ arrow (in the upper left corner of the selected eBook).
5. Select ‘Return Borrowed Item’ and click ‘Return’ to verify that you want to return the title. The eBook is returned to the library collection and can now be borrowed by someone else.
Are Adobe eBooks deleted when they expire?
No, Adobe files remain on your computer until you delete them. To delete an eBook:
1. Open Adobe Digital Editions.
2. Select the ‘Library View’ icon (in the upper left corner).
3. The Adobe Digital Editions Library is displayed. Under the ‘Bookshelves’ heading, select ‘Borrowed’.
4. Select the eBook you want to delete and click the ‘Item Options’ arrow (in the upper left corner of the selected eBook).
5. Select ‘Delete Item’ and click ‘Delete’ to verify that you want to delete the title.
6. The next step varies depending on what operating system you have…
* If you have Windows 7 or Windows Vista, go to Documents > My Digital Editions and delete any copies of the eBook saved in this folder.
* If you have Windows XP, go to My Documents > My Digital Editions and delete any copies of the eBook saved in this folder.
* If you have Mac OS, go to Documents > Digital Editions and delete any copies of the eBook saved in this folder.
7. The eBook is deleted from your computer.
Need more help?
Go the “My Help” section of DigitalLibraryNJ and get step-by-step instructions customized for your specific device.